Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Mistake or Lesson?

Here is the question I have for you: In life, is it acceptable to make mistakes?

This blog post is inspired by a math conference that I attended today. The name of the session I was in was 'embracing frustration'. When I signed up for various sessions for the conference this one caught my eye. Why? Most of us have been taught it is not acceptable to make mistakes or fail at the things we do. I know when I was growing up multiple people instilled that thought in me; teachers, friends, family, etc. As I was being presented to today, the speaker made it very clear that it is OK to make mistakes! As a teacher, I need to let my students know that making mistakes is what makes great learners and allows them to problem solve within their daily lives.

As I was sitting there, I applied this thought to my life. I have made many decisions in life that have lead to...let's call them... lessons.  The word lesson (instead of mistakes) not only sounds better but in my opinion, makes more sense. Without messing up once, twice or twenty times I wouldn't be where I am today. Did I fail several times throughout my life leading up to this point...you bet!  Allowing myself to fail gave me the courage to keep going; knowing the right solution or action will eventually come my way. On my drive home I took the time to reflect on some of the lessons I have learned throughout my life. Here are some:
- You don't need to say yes to everything! It is OK to tell someone no. Don't spread yourself too thin that you can't give your current activities your full attention.
- Sometimes we lose touch with people that mean a lot to us for one reason or another. Give it time, eventually we will be brought back to them because after all, it is a small world.
-If you don't ask questions, the answer will always be unknown or no. I've learned to put myself out there and be confident no matter what the outcome may be!
- There are benefits to making yourself transparent. Allowing others to see the real you makes them more comfortable to show the real them.
-Don't take the easy way out of situations in life, challenge yourself...you'll be glad you did!
- When I happen to mess up, I know I will learn from it and move on.
  Embrace the frustrations life hands you, it will make you a stronger person!


Definition of mistakean action or judgment that is misguided or wrong

Definition of life lessonsomething from which useful knowledge or principles can be learned
(right now, I am frustrated at this formatting and how it won't line up...but it is what it is!)

The next time you make a "mistake", think about how it could be a life lesson instead!



1 comment:

  1. great post, Jess, sounds like the math conference really has you thinking! I love how you talked about specific things in your life that are applicable, and I especially love the line about never asking will always be a no, totally agree :-) So glad to see you blogging!! xx

    ReplyDelete